Threads

Credits

CourseABCDEFG

Credits
Jump to specified page
Post time: 2009-04-30 10:34:09
| Show the author posts only Reply Awards |Descending |Read mode

Dear Miraculous Hands

I have an article source information about the founder of SCHOOL OF THOUGHT OF TONIFYING EARTH..“bu tu pai “ or “yi shui xue pai ” .
[b:9fb592dd7e]Zhang Yuan Su [/b:9fb592dd7e]was the first amongst the four thinkers of this school of thought in Jin and Yuan Dinasties .
[b:9fb592dd7e]Zhang[/b:9fb592dd7e] made a significant contribution on the theory of movements of the herbs..he applied the theory presented in chapter 5 of Su Wen which says “[b:9fb592dd7e]thick flavors are yin, thin flavors are yang within yin , thick energy (qi hou) is yang , thin energy is yin within yang . thick flavors give rise to glossy diarrhea ,thin flavors give rise to smooth passage . thin energy give rise to perspiration , thick energy give rise to fever[/b:9fb592dd7e].”

Thus he held the view that the energy of the herbs is yang , and the flavors of herbs is yin , yang energy moves upward , yin energy moves downwards which is the basic theory of movements , but energy and flavor may be thin or thick which should taken into account in determination of the movement of the Herbs.

1.He pointed that thin energy is not necessarily move upward as mentioned above from Su WEN (..thin energy give rise to perspiration) he gave an example of [b:9fb592dd7e]FU LING poria [/b:9fb592dd7e]and named it as yang herb(yin within yang)
2.Thin flavor may not necessarily move downward. as mentioned above from Su WEN (..thin flavors give rise to smooth passage) and he put an example of [b:9fb592dd7e]MA HUANG ephedrae[/b:9fb592dd7e].and named it as yin herb.( yang within yin)
This article is quoted from one of his works entitled , Bag Of Pearls (Zhen Zhu Nang ) published in the 12 century . This book had been lost in the course of history which some of its contents printed probably in other publications !!

My question is if there existing other herbs with this specification that don’t follow the cannon of chapter 5 of Su Wen..
I understand that MA HUANG follow the cannon of su wen (..give rise to smooth passage) from the course E but anyway I would like to satisfy my curiosity how your wise forefathers had this view on herbs.

Wish you have a nice day
Best regards
Denis Voglis

----------------

Dionisios

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:25 pm    

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

CourseABCDEFG

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2009-04-30 10:34:35
| Show the author posts only

Dear Denis Voglis,
First of all, I have to say, Zhang Yuansu is not really taken into the Four Great Master in Jin and Yuan Dynasties. For sure he was very prominent, even greater than the Four Masters, whom were more or less influenced or even taught by him. He's neither really known as the one of Bu Tu Pai (Earth-Tonifying Sect), but rather his student Li Dongyuan was given that title. He was and is formally known as the founder of Yi Shui Pai (Yi-River Sect) in traditional Chinese medicine.
However, I agree with the article you cited that he indeed paid great attention on the spleen and stomach, but not only to build up, but also to reduce.

Now, to think of your question, I am not quite sure what the English original said, but the Chinese statement is that: "Fuling is tasteless, so is the Yang of heaven, which should ascend, but why does it moves down to the discharge of more the water? For it is the one of thin Qi, so the Yang within Yin, thus it cannot leave the Yang part of the body, so is of tropism to the Hand Taiyang meridian. While Ma Huang is bitter in taste, the Yin of earth,which should descend, but why does it make diaphoresis (upward)? The thin flavor is the Yin within Yang, so it can move upward to make diaphoresis but cannot leave the Yin part of the body, so is of tropism to Hand Taiyin meridian."

So, Zhang Yuansu didn't say anything different from the Su Wen. Right?

To tell the truth, Zhang Yuansu listed several other herbs to illustrate his idea. Maybe one day you could learn Chinese and try to read him direactly.

Bye!
Best regards
M.H.

--------------------------------

miraculous hands
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:34 pm    

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|Mebo TCM Training Center ( Jing ICP Record No.08105532-2 )

2024-05-02 10:10 GMT+8

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list