Threads

Credits

CourseABCDEFG

Credits
Post time: 2009-04-30 10:03:17
| Show all posts |Read mode

Dear Dr. Miraculous Hands,

1. Chapter 5, Chaenomeles Fruit.
At the beginning of page 5, the text says: "Being sour, it has the effect of promoting the generation of the body fluid, suitable for digestion and thirst, eliminating dampness and regulating the middle-jiao".

It is my understanding that sour flavor herbs have the effects of supressing and sweet flavor herbs have the effect of generation of body fluid. Can you explain a little more about the effect of sour herbs on generation of body fluids in the above mentioned paragraph?

2. Chapter 7, Plantain Seed (Page 4)
On properties of plantain seed, the text indicates: "Being sweet and cold for lubricating, clearing, lowering and descending, the herb can clear away damp-heat from the lower-jiao to induce diuresis and treat strangury, and it is indicated for edema, strangury, diarrhea and other syndromes of damp-heat."

My question is the indication for diarrhea in the above paragraph. As you and I discussed in my question on movement of diseases, diarrhea is a downward movement and would require a herb having a lifting effect rather than lowering effect. Could you clarify for me ?

Thanks-Nam

---------------------------------------

Nam Le
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:27 am

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

CourseABCDEFG

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2009-04-30 10:03:47
| Show all posts

Dear Nam,
In fact, in traditional Chinese medicine, there is a saying that "those of sour and sweet flavors are susceptibel to the transformation of Yin". In the common sense, when you eat something sour, you may feel alot of saliva in mouth.
There is a Chinese idiom, "Looking forward to the plums can ease the thirst".
On the other hand, the text says "...suppressing sweating, arresting bleeding, relieving diarrhea and controlling nocturnal emission." This is also in another angel the ways of promoting and generating body fluids. I think, the less loss also means the promotion and generation in another way.

Secondly, the Plantain seed can clear away damp-heat from the lower-jiao, so it is used "to induce diuresis and treat strangury".
So, I think it's clear that the herb is good to eliminate the damp-heat from the lower-jiao. So when there is diarrhea, mixed with some urination problem, this herb can be combined in the treatment. To treat diarrhea, it's not only to lift the Qi up, it's also important to eliminate the damp-heat, the caustive pathogen, especially during the acute stage.
It seems to me, you don't understand well the etiology and the pathogenesis, so please review the text of course B, and see how the diarrhea results from.
Also you'd better review the part of etiology and pathogenesis in course. It's very basic!

-------------------------------------

miraculous hands
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:31 am    

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

CourseABCDEFG

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2009-04-30 10:04:17
| Show all posts

Thanks for your explanations

-------------------------------

Nam Le
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:53 pm    

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|Mebo TCM Training Center ( Jing ICP Record No.08105532-2 )

2024-04-18 22:21 GMT+8

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list