[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Jump to specified page
Post time: 2009-04-28 17:33:00
| Show the author posts only Reply Awards |Descending |Read mode

Dear Tutor,

This is the first post I have ever written, so first I would like to extend my greetings to you and to all other classmates in this forum. I am thrilled to be studying TCM, and I hope to learn a lot of practical knowledge from my study here.

I have been studying the class materials regarding Yin and Yang theory, as well as some other outside materials, and I have a few basic questions.

First, when catergorizing things as Yang or Yin, is there a standard anatomical position for Chinese medicine? For example, we learn that Yin is downward, Yang is upward. This is relational for one body part to another. But it depends on my posture and position at the time which one is up and which is down. So is there a standard position? Or is all changing depending on the particular position at the time?

Also, I know that in Chinese Medicine, sometimes it is not the best way to understand things by asking "Why?", but I still would like to ask. Is there a reason why Yin is left and yang is right?

Also, talking about the oposition and interaction of yin and yang. Clinically, the contrary treatment is used as a basic treatment principle. For example, treatment of cold diseases (yin) with hot drugs (yang). Using yang to control yin.

But when looking at interdependence between yin and yang, for example clinically, patients with blood deficiency can be treated by supplimenting qi to produce blood. "drawing yin from yang"

Aren't these two treatment methods contradictory to each other? So when is it indicated to use yang to "kill" yin, when is it indicated to use yang to "grow" yin?

I am guessing that it depends on the level of yin you're starting with (excess versus deficiency). Is that right?

Also, I am trying my best to understand TCM, and I was wondering if you could point me to some resources of clinical case studies. I know that in later topics, like our material in diagnosis, we may learn more, but I would also like to study some clinical case studies along with the theory material to help me understand better the application of the theory and how it actually works in the real world.

Thanks again for all your help!

Sincerely,

Amanda Ju

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2009-04-28 17:33:19
| Show the author posts only

Dear Amanda,
Nice to meet you here online! 
You are welcome to study Medboo courses of traditional Chinese medicine and to log on this forum. 

I’m sure you can learn something from your study with Medboo.

Now let’s discuss your questions.

Yes, there is a standard anatomical position in traditional Chinese medicine, i.e. facing south, arms fall down naturally, and body trunk, as well as legs is straightened up.

Of course it’s the head up and the feet down. We can never say the head should be down, while the legs are up.

Are you sure the text says the Yin is left and the Yang is right?
Please make sure about it.

Yes here we use Yang to overcome the Yin, but you have to be sure it’s normal Yin or pathological Yin!!!
If it’s a good balance of Yin and Yang, why shall we make trouble to use one against another?

The Yin and Yang include many aspects, you are talking the Qi and blood, but in fact here it’s the excess and deficiency, in another word, the pathology or physiology, the good balance or imbalance.
It’s not the way of using Yang to control Yin, but just on contrary, it’s reinforcing Yang to promote the cultivation of Yin.

Of course the two methods are not contradictory, not at all!

Yang is not used to “kill��?Yin!!! Yang can neither grow Yin!
When you study the Eight Principles, you will have a better picture to understand it better.

You are talking about the physiology, the clinical treatment, but you forget the bridge between them, the pathology and pathogenesis.

To study Yin and Yang, it’s not the object in TCM, the object is to understand the physiology and pathology and pathogenesis.

So you try to leap, but you even cannot walk well at the moment.

You cannot build up Rome in a day.

Very sorry to tell you, at the moment we don’t have the clinical cases to supply, especially for course A, it’s nothing to do with clinical study at all!!!

I would like to stress once more, please walk stably first, then try to leap.

It seems you have Chinese background, I think that’s very helpful to your study of TCM.
But it’s still not an easy job to study traditional Chinese medicine, it would take many years to grasp it, not some days or some months, it’s years and years!!!
Later, you do need the face to face instruction, including both clinic and lectures.
In China, TCM students in colleges and universities would study five years in full time, but many of them cannot treat patients after graduation, so they need to either practice for several years or to take the postgraduate study for several years, so maybe all together 10 years, the students could become more or less a doctor of traditional Chinese medicine.

To be a very good and experienced doctor is another matter!
You have to have a good chance to follow a teacher, a good one for some years, 3, or 5, or even more.

So, 10 years plus 3 or 5, maybe up to the age of 40, you can be a good doctor of TCM, if you have the good luck, and good talent, too!!!

Ok, so far so much!

Sincerely yours
Tutor

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2009-04-28 17:33:30

Dear Tutor,

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your suggestion to walk before jumping. I think I am trying to jump maybe because of my strong desire to understand, but I will try my best to take the basics first.

I know it takes many, many years of experience to be an effective TCM provider, but I do hope I can improve my understanding and learn what I can in an effective way over time.

About Yang and Yin, right and left, I remember reading it somewhere, but I wasn't able to find exactly where. I suppose this is not true?

Thanks again.

Amanda

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2009-04-28 17:33:42

It's so nice that you know the importance to walk step by step!

I'm quite confident you'll do great with traditional Chinese medicine in future.

Yes, to a very high building, a very solid fundation is essential.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
5#
 Author| Post time: 2009-04-28 17:33:54

Dear AmandaJu,

I would like to say something regarding your question about the direction left-right of Yin-Yang. As you and our Tutor pointed out, there is a standard anatomical position in TMC: that's standing and facing South. If this is true, it is plain that the left side of the body is facing East, while the right side is facing West. East stands for sunrise, West for sunset... Yang and Yin! So, that is why we could say the left side of the body is Yang and the right side is Yin!
This is in my opinion, but is it really correct???

Maurizio

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
6#
 Author| Post time: 2009-04-28 17:34:05

Dear Maurizio,
I think you've got something!

Yes, indeed! You are right!

Tutor

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|Mebo TCM Training Center ( Jing ICP Record No.08105532-2 )

2024-05-04 01:28 GMT+8

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list