Teaching Acupuncture to physicians vs. non-physicians

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Jump to specified page
Post time: 2009-04-28 14:59:39
| Show the author posts only Reply Awards |Descending |Read mode

[color=darkred:e8eb90b58a]These questions have been first posted in the open section (About the Medboo distance training program). As I have received no answer , I am moving my post to the student section.[/color:e8eb90b58a]

[quote:e8eb90b58a]Years ago Dr. Paul Marcus, [i:e8eb90b58a]MD[/i:e8eb90b58a], former Chairman of the [i:e8eb90b58a]British Medical Acupuncture Society[/i:e8eb90b58a] (BMAS) published an article called [i:e8eb90b58a]Acupuncture in Modern Medicine[/i:e8eb90b58a] ([i:e8eb90b58a]Acupuncture in Medicine[/i:e8eb90b58a] 1992, Vol. 10, [i:e8eb90b58a] Suppl.[/i:e8eb90b58a]), in which he stated:

[i:e8eb90b58a]The courses run by organisations which train lay persons are often very detailed and prolonged in comparison with the shorter courses attended by medically qualified practitioners. This is because in the case of the doctors their knowledge of diagnosis, pathology, anatomy, physiology, microbiology and other treatment techniques which can be used at the same time as acupuncture can be taken for granted.[/i:e8eb90b58a]

Indeed, for instance, in the student part of Medboo forum a question has recently been asked as to how the back-shu points could be easily located, the answer lying in the very basic skills of palpation of the spine. No physician or physiotherapist would probably need to ask such a question.

The [i:e8eb90b58a]World Health Organisation[/i:e8eb90b58a] (WHO) currently recommends at least 2500 hours of training for non-medical acupuncture practitioners, while only 1500 hours are recommended for [i:e8eb90b58a]full[/i:e8eb90b58a] training in acupuncture for qualified (Western medicine) physicians, and 200 hours are recommended for [i:e8eb90b58a]limited[/i:e8eb90b58a] training in acupuncture for qualified physicians and certain other medical graduates. The [i:e8eb90b58a]American Academy of Medical Acupuncture[/i:e8eb90b58a] (AAMA) require from medical doctors 220 hours of formal training in acupuncture for full membership. Likewise, the [i:e8eb90b58a]International Academy of Medical Acupuncture[/i:e8eb90b58a] (IAMA) requires from medical, naturopathic, or chiropractic physicians a total of 210 hours of formal training in acupuncture for its [i:e8eb90b58a]Diplomate[/i:e8eb90b58a].

[i:e8eb90b58a]Thus, it seems that physicians and other medical graduates would require less training to master acupuncture than lay people.[/i:e8eb90b58a]

Indeed, in Europe physicians and physiotherapists are often taught acupuncture during one or two weekend courses (which is probably insufficient to completely master the basic acupuncture skills). Some better examples include the full-time Basic Acupuncture and Advanced Acupuncture Programmes (3 months each) taught to Western medical professionals by [i:e8eb90b58a]China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine[/i:e8eb90b58a] (CATCM), or the 127 hours TCM based postgraduate course in [i:e8eb90b58a]Acupuncture Reflexotherapy[/i:e8eb90b58a] ([i:e8eb90b58a]Acupuncture and Related Techniques[/i:e8eb90b58a]) taught by Dr. Ana María Carballo, vice-president of the [i:e8eb90b58a]International Acupuncture Association of Physical Therapists[/i:e8eb90b58a] (IAAPT), sub-group of the [i:e8eb90b58a]World Confederation of Physical Therapy[/i:e8eb90b58a] (WCPT), to graduates in Medicine and Physiotherapy in the [i:e8eb90b58a]University of Buenos Aires[/i:e8eb90b58a], Argentina (since 1993).[/quote:e8eb90b58a]

[color=darkred:e8eb90b58a]In China, many institutions train TCM physicians. However, is it possible for a Chinese medical doctor trained in [i:e8eb90b58a]Western[/i:e8eb90b58a] medicine to change to practicing acupuncture or add it to his/her practice if (s)he so wishes? Would (s)he need to study TCM from the beginning during 5 years? Or is it possible to do a shorter course to practice acupuncture within his/her scope of practice only? How long would need a Chinese medical doctor trained in [i:e8eb90b58a]Western[/i:e8eb90b58a] medicine to study acupuncture to be allowed to practice it at least on a limited basis in P.R. China? [/color:e8eb90b58a]

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2009-04-28 14:59:49
| Show the author posts only

Sergiy, it seems you asked a good question.

Yes, medical doctors/physicians in China could change their practice to acupuncture or traditional Chinese medicinal herbology.

But tell you the truth, only very small number of them would make such a change.

In China, medical students should learn traditional Chinese medicine for some time in terms of their curriculum. Maybe several hundred hours, usually in their fourth year in medical school.

If they want to practice traditional Chinese medicine, they must study more. I don't think there are any rules and regulations to force them to study, but they have to study for themselves, if they want to have a successful practice.

It is hard to say how long they need to study, it's all up to the individuals' need. I mean the personal talent and the teachers you are following.

You know, in old time in China, let's say 100 years ago, some intellectuals would study traditional Chinese medicine all by themselves, there were no TCM schools at that time in China.
Even they didn't follow any teacher, but some of them could be very successful in acquiring the knowledge and in making a great practice. That's all because they have got the solid fundamental theories of Chinese culture, especially the parts in regard with the traditional Chinese medicine.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|Mebo TCM Training Center ( Jing ICP Record No.08105532-2 )

2024-05-05 17:02 GMT+8

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list