[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Jump to specified page
Post time: 2009-04-28 14:05:31
| Show the author posts only Reply Awards |Descending |Read mode

[b:4f5d5b0f4c]Questions:[/b:4f5d5b0f4c]

I have a couple of questions about what I am reading.

1. I am not really understanding what "Essence" is and how it is different from Qi. I am understanding Qi as energy and the driving force behind different actions.

2. I am reading in Chapter 3, section 3 that essence can change into blood? Also, Qi changes into blood at times. Or is it that a particular type of Qi, nutritive Qi, changes into blood. And does it change back into Qi again? Somewhere else I read that Qi flows along with blood through the vessels, so if it has changed into blood how does that work.

3. Chapter 3, section 3, 1. In the book "Zhang's General Medicine" is states: "If blood in not consumed it turns into essence in the Kidney...." What does it mean to have the blood CONSUMED?

Sorry I am not very specific with my questions, but i am really not understanding it enough to ask proper questions.

Can you make this clearer please?

[b:4f5d5b0f4c]Answers:[/b:4f5d5b0f4c]
1). I don't think I can tell you more about the concept of Essence, the text tells very clear about it:"Essence (Jing) is a fundamental material of the human body and the material basis for various physiological functions of the human body....there were two types of essence: the congenital or innate essence and the acquired essence. In functional terms, the two types are defined as the reproductive essence and the essence of the Zang-Fu organs."
In ancient time, the traditional Chinese medicine practitioners would have thought that in the body there should be something which is refined and more important than the others so it is the foundation or the basis for the building of the body.That could be the ESSENCE.
I think the text has also made clear what the Qi is, "the basic particles which constitute the universe and produce everything in the world through their movements and changes." So, it's apparent Essence differs from Qi.

2). You are right that only Ying nutritive Qi can change into blood, or I would rather say it's part of the blood. But blood cannot change back to Qi. Qi flows together with blood within or outside of the vessels, so blood is also called the mother of Qi, herein the mother means the "basis". There are various types of Qi, as you have read in the text, but mainly the Ying Qi can change into blood when the blood needs to be replenished.

3). Everyday, no matter we are waking to do the daily life activities or we are sleeping, we do need the blood to support us. Without blood how could we live? So blood would be consumed at every moment in our lives.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|Mebo TCM Training Center ( Jing ICP Record No.08105532-2 )

2024-05-05 14:06 GMT+8

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list