[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Jump to specified page
Post time: 2009-04-28 10:49:54
| Show the author posts only Reply Awards |Descending |Read mode

A landmark study has shown that acupuncture not only provides pain relief but also improves function for people with osteoarthritis. These findings were reported in the December 21, 2004, issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine.

The multicenter phase III clinical trial involved 570 patients, age 50 and older, with osteoarthritis of the knee. Participants had significant pain in their knees the month before joining the study, had not experienced acupuncture, had not had knee surgery in the prior six months, and had not used steroids or other injections. They were randomly assigned to receive one of three treatments: acupuncture, sham acupuncture, or participation in a self-help group. Patients continued to receive standard medical care, including anti-inflammatory medications such as COX-2 selective inhibitors, opioid pain relievers, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).

The progress of patients was assessed at four, eight, 14, and 26 weeks. By week eight, acupuncture patients were showing a significant increase in function and by week 14, a significant decrease in pain, compared with the other two groups. The results held through week 26. Overall, those who received acupuncture had a 40% decrease in pain and a nearly 40% improvement in function.

This trial, which builds upon our previous NCCAM [U.S. Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine]-funded research, establishes that acupuncture is an effective complement to conventional arthritis treatment and can be successfully employed as part of a multidisciplinary approach to treating the symptoms of osteoarthritis, noted study leader Brian Berman, M.D., director of the Center for Integrative Medicine and professor of family medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine (Baltimore).

The acupuncture technique that has been most studied scientifically involves penetrating the skin with thin, solid, metallic needles that are manipulated by the hands or by electrical stimulation. More than 20 million people in the United States alone have osteoarthritis.

From medinews.com

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Visitor

Credits
Post time: 2009-04-28 10:50:07
| Show the author posts only

Considering that I am a person, over the age of 50, with osteoarthritis of the knee, I have found this posting to be of considerable interest. Currently I am suspecting that my COX-2 selective inhibitor is creating a significant increase in my BP, and have had to stop the medication. In a posting several weeks ago I followed the link to the NCCAM [U.S. Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine] website where I read about the knee osteoarthitis treatment, and watched the treatment video. Unfortunately, there was no audio attached to the video clip, and I do not recall any mention of the exact acupoint prescription.
Can you please tell me the prescription for osteoarthritis of the knee? I currently do not have access to electronic stimulation at the acupoints, but would be very appreciative of the prescription(s).
Thank you,
Prof. Price

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|Mebo TCM Training Center ( Jing ICP Record No.08105532-2 )

2024-04-26 15:57 GMT+8

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list