[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Jump to specified page
Post time: 2009-04-27 17:28:19
| Show the author posts only Reply Awards |Descending |Read mode

U.S. researchers say a traditional Indian medicine for treating diabetes lowers blood sugar and insulin levels in a way similar to prescription drugs.

Researchers at Ohio State University gave extracts of the herb Salacia oblonga to 39 healthy adults who had fasted for 10 hours. The study participants were given different levels of the herb, which was served as a chilled beverage.

The largest dose decreased insulin levels by 29 percent and glucose levels by 23 percent, the researchers reported in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

Intestinal enzymes normally bond to carbohydrates and turn them to glucose, the sugar that circulates throughout the body. If the enzymes bond to Salacia oblonga instead, they produce less glucose, lowering blood glucose and insulin levels.

"Lowering blood glucose levels lowers the risk of disease-related complications in people with diabetes," wrote Steve Hertzler, co-author of the study. "Also, poor compliance with diabetes medications often hinders the effectiveness of these drugs. It may be easier to get someone to take an herb with food or in a beverage, as opposed to a pill."

Salacia oblonga is native to regions in India and Sri Lanka but is difficult to find in America.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Visitor

Credits
Post time: 2009-04-27 17:28:32
| Show the author posts only

This is very interesting.
I have been using bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) that was recommended to me by an Ayurvedic Physician practicing in a remote part of India.
I have used it on my patients and on myself to control type II diabetes.
The blood sugar levels always show a remarkable decrease post administration.
The best method of administering it is as a juice from the fresh fruit but tablet concentrates do also show results.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Visitor

Credits
Post time: 2009-04-27 17:28:42

Off the top of my head, I think Gymnemna sylvestris (sp.?) is useful to control blood sugar levels. And the general adoptogenic quality of eleutherococcus senticosus (siberian ginseng) is useful. In TCM try looking up the herbs used for "Wasting and thirsting" disorders. Theres been some studies done, but I cant think of any that specifically lower blood glucose off the top of my head (although I know that they are there.)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Visitor

Credits
Post time: 2009-04-27 17:28:54

Oh, I forgot to add, somebody just posted a note about bilberry and anthocyanins, which has also been very useful in the treatment of diabetic retinopathy in particular, as well as peripheral neuropathy.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|Mebo TCM Training Center ( Jing ICP Record No.08105532-2 )

2024-04-28 19:16 GMT+8

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list