[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Jump to specified page
Post time: 2009-04-27 17:23:04
| Show the author posts only Reply Awards |Descending |Read mode

First, I assume alcoholic extracts, tinctures, and alcoholatures are the same thing. Is that correct?

How does one prepate those tinctures?

In my location, it's hard to find some Chinese herbs, so making tinctures is just as difficult as making decoctions. But I can easily get ready-made alcoholatures of those herbs at my local herbologist. I wonder if the dosage of tincture is the same as the dosage of herbs.

I'll ask the herbologist if need be. But he wanted me to join his Chinese Herbal Medicine course, and I chose Medboo instead. He may hold a grudge against me

Any information regarding this will be appreciated!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Visitor

Credits
Post time: 2009-04-27 17:23:23
| Show the author posts only

[quote:0ad0912ed0="Feathered Serpent"]First, I assume alcoholic extracts, tinctures, and alcoholatures are the same thing. Is that correct?

How does one prepate those tinctures?

In my location, it's hard to find some Chinese herbs, so making tinctures is just as difficult as making decoctions. But I can easily get ready-made alcoholatures of those herbs at my local herbologist. I wonder if the dosage of tincture is the same as the dosage of herbs.

I'll ask the herbologist if need be. But he wanted me to join his Chinese Herbal Medicine course, and I chose Medboo instead. He may hold a grudge against me

Any information regarding this will be appreciated![/quote:0ad0912ed0]

I think you are correct, they are almost same things.

Alcohol is ideal for extracting fats, resins, waxes and most alkaloids, like Absinthe's thujone. It is an excellent preservative and is quickly assimilated. The herbs you are tincturing are known as the mark. Tincturing will extract and preserve both the water-soluble and alcohol-soluble properties of an herb.
Tincture several herbs together if you are creating a formula. Put them in a sterile jar with a tight lid, and cover them with brandy or vodka. Alcohol must be at least 50 proof to have good preservative qualities. Vodka is the purest grain alcohol.

Tinctures may also be made using vegetable glycerin rather than alcohol. This is best when making tinctures for those that are alcohol intolerant as well as for children, pregnant and nursing mothers. Glycerin is both a solvent and preservative that has an effectiveness somewhere between water and alcohol. It is naturally sweet, pleasant tasting and helps to extract mucilage, vitamins, minerals and tannins from plant material. It is good for herbs high in tannins but doesn't extract resins well.
Tinctures made in alcohol will last for many years.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|Mebo TCM Training Center ( Jing ICP Record No.08105532-2 )

2024-05-03 16:33 GMT+8

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list