Mebo--TCM Forum

Title: PELADE by Zhang Ren and Dong Zhi Lin (hairloss) [Print this page]

Author: bbsadmin    Time: 2009-04-29 13:59
Title: PELADE by Zhang Ren and Dong Zhi Lin (hairloss)

[b:699f1c7a21]PELADE by Zhang Ren and Dong Zhi Lin (hairloss)[/b:699f1c7a21]

Pelade is a disease of unknown etiology characterized by local circular trichomadesis without
inflammation. The efficacy of acupuncture amounting to about 90%.

[b:699f1c7a21]1.ACUPUNCTURE[/b:699f1c7a21]

The main points are

- Ashi (the site where the hair has been lost) and Fengchi (G 20) .

The secondary points are

- Xinshu (G 15), Geshu (B 17), Pishu (B 20), Zusanli (S 36) and Sanyinjiao (Sp 6) .

[b:699f1c7a21]Technique:[/b:699f1c7a21]

- The main points are chosen for each patient.

- For patients with narrow pelade, crossed-form needling method is employed, i.e., a needle is
inserted horizontally from left to right, while another needle is inserted horizontally from the
anterior to the posterior. The two needles crosses at the center of the pelade area

- For patients with extensive pelade, four needles are inserted horizontally in four directions
(anterior. posterior, left and right) , towards the center where they are crossed. After insertion,
the needles are retained for 15 minutes.

- Reducing method is adopted on Fengch (G 20), while reinforcing method is employed on other
points. During retention, moxibustion may be added. This therapy is administered once every
other day.

[b:699f1c7a21]2. SKIN NEEDLE THERAPY[/b:699f1c7a21]

- The main points are Ashi (the site where the hair has been lost) .

- The secondary points are Fengchi (G 20) , ex Yiming and ex Jiaji (Ex-B l5) .

Technique:

- The points are pricked with skin needles to cause slight bleeding. When rare neogenetic hair
appears on the bare area, pricking is performed more slightly.

- A plum-blossom needle may also be employed with frequency of 70-90 times per minute, for
10-15 minutes.

- This therapy is administered once daily or every other day. Fourteen treatment sessions
constitute a therapeutic course.

[b:699f1c7a21]3. CUPPING THERAPY[/b:699f1c7a21]

The main points are Ashi (the site where the hair has been lost) .

Technique:

- Cupping therapy is employed for patient with extensive pelade.

- Operation: A thin cake made with flour is put previously on the site where the hair has been lost.

- A middle or small sized cup (heated with alcohol-cotton) is then covered on it, continuously for
5-6 times, to cause a local slight cyanosis.

- The points on the left and the right of the head are needled alternately.

- This therapy is administered once every other day, and ten treatment sessions constitute a
therapeutic course.

Reference:
[b:699f1c7a21]'Modern Clinic Necessities for Acupuncture & Moxibustion' by Zhang Ren and Dong Zhi Lin (TCM
Material for Advanced Training Courses)[/b:699f1c7a21]
[/b]

Author: tutor    Time: 2009-04-29 13:59

Thanks Dionisos

is it the acupuncture technik called " surrounding the Dragon" . ?

The carbuncle or furuncle can be treat in the same way . am I right

Dear Tutor what do you think about this method ?

Tommy

Author: tutor    Time: 2009-04-29 13:59

Sorry to say I don't have such experience but the surrounding method is often used to treat some disorders with skin lesions, e.g. the carbuncles or furuncles.

That's understood as the local needling techniques.

Tutor

Author: tutor    Time: 2009-04-29 14:00

[quote:3e26ccd6b8="tutor"]...the surrounding method is often used to treat some disorders with skin lesions, e.g. the carbuncles or furuncles.[/quote:3e26ccd6b8]
There is an article in English published by an Israeli TCM doctor Shmuel Halevi ([b:3e26ccd6b8]The Treatment of Gangrenous Diabetic Abscess by the "Ring of the Dragon" Acupuncture Technique[/b:3e26ccd6b8]. [i:3e26ccd6b8]Journal of Chinese Medicine[/i:3e26ccd6b8] Issue No. 74, 2004).
[quote:3e26ccd6b8]The author has treated a number of patients with gangrenous diabetic abscess who have faced imminent amputation, and has helped prevent this calamitous outcome. Here he presents one such case, with a detailed case analysis and description of treatment (with successful outcome). The article includes colour photographs charting the patient's progress.[/quote:3e26ccd6b8]
A few quotes from the article:
[quote:3e26ccd6b8]"However, the main acupuncture technique at this stage of the treatment, was the "Ring the Dragon" technique. With this method, the wound is surrounded by several needles, usually between 3-6 one inch needles. The needles are placed on the healthy margins of the wound, a few millimeters away, at a slanted angle with the needle tip directed underneath the margin of the wound, some 1-2 cm in the direction of the centre of the ulceration. It is then left in-situ without further manipulation. At the end of the session, some 30 minutes later, the "Ring the Dragon" needles are pulled out."[/quote:3e26ccd6b8]
[quote:3e26ccd6b8]"The "Ring the Dragon" method is vital in the treatment of ulcerations, boils, abscesses, scars and practically all kinds of localised skin disorders. The technique stimulates the margins of the disorder and enhances blood circulation there, thereby accelerating the recovery of infected skin tissue. I have found this technique tremendously helpful in a wide variety of skin disorders, and in fact, it should not be overlooked in the treatment of a localised skin disease of any kind."[/quote:3e26ccd6b8]
The complete article in the PDF format can be downloaded free of charge at http://www.jcm.co.uk/media/sample_articles/diabeticabscess.pdf .

Here is a description of the treatment of eczema with the use of this technique by Joseph Alban, [i:446eb0c651]MS[/i:446eb0c651], [i:446eb0c651]LAc[/i:446eb0c651] from the U.S.A. (http://www.albanacupuncture.com/id70.html):
[quote:446eb0c651]"[b:446eb0c651]Eczema[/b:446eb0c651]- Eczema, also called atopic dermatitis, is a chronic allergic reaction which causes the skin to become red, inflamed, intensely itchy, and in some cases blister. People who have eczema often also have asthma and allergies. All of these conditions are caused by heat, wind, and dampness and can be treated effectively with acupuncture and Chinese herbs. Itchy skin can be caused by dampness or wind. The more red the skin, the more heat present. In severe eczema, the lesions may be swollen and oozing, which is generally damp heat.

The acupuncture treatment will focus on clearing heat and dampness, and dispelling the wind. To clear heat usually will include large intestine 11 and large intestine 4, as in acne. Because the lungs are so often related to eczema, lung 5, on the front of the elbow is often added. In addition, a technique called "[b:446eb0c651]surrounding the dragon[/b:446eb0c651]" which 5-6 needles are inserted around the lesions to bring blood and qi to the local area for healing."[/quote:446eb0c651]

thanks sergiy

excellent informations !

Tommy

The "surrounding the dragon" technique seems also to be helpful in treating patients with herpes zoster (shingles). Below is a quote from a [url=http://www.acupuncture-services.com/health-az/shingles/treating_shingles_with_surround_the_dragon_ac.php]summary[/url] by Joyce Marley, L.Ac. from NY, of an article published back in 1994. (This summary refers to the article of Owen W, Deadman P. Treatment by acupuncture for herpes zoster. [i:8e3de79c6e]J Chin Med[/i:8e3de79c6e]. 1994;45:1-2).
[quote:8e3de79c6e]Western medicine does not have an effective means of treating shingles other than the dosing of pain medications, which may become addictive or have serious side effects. But many techniques are employed in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) to effectively reduce the severity and duration of this disease.

In the September 1994 issue of the Journal of Chinese Medicine, there is an article that discusses the technique called "[b:8e3de79c6e]surround the dragon[/b:8e3de79c6e]". It involves placing fine acupuncture needles around the lesions without regard to traditional acupuncture points. Needles are inserted at 2 cm intervals subcutaneously at a 25 degree angle to the skin around the rash. The needles are left in place for 30 minutes. No deqi, or energy sensation is obtained. It is relatively painless for the patient. The number of needles depends entirely on the extensiveness of the rash.

This article discusses a study that was conducted using this technique. Fifty patients between the age of 20 and 91 (with an average age of 64.9) participated in the study. A requirement of the study was that the patient had to be in the acute stage of the disease (less than 16 days from the outbreak of the lesions). The patients were treated daily. The study concluded that the "[b:8e3de79c6e]surround the dragon[/b:8e3de79c6e]" method was highly effective to treat the acute stage of shingles, as 45 of the 50 patients (90%), declared themselves free of pain in an average of 4.6 days! This is a [i:8e3de79c6e]significantly shorter[/i:8e3de79c6e] duration than the 14 to 21 days that it typically takes for the lesions to dry, scab and fall off. [i:8e3de79c6e]Without acupuncture treatment, pain is almost always present during this 2-3 week period, and often for some time after the lesions have healed[/i:8e3de79c6e].

Additionally, participants were contacted five to twelve months after their acupuncture treatments and 88% had had no pain since. Therefore, the study concluded that this treatment method also reduced the incidence of post-herpetic neuralgia dramatically.[/quote:8e3de79c6e]

Bob Flaws and Philippe Sionneau in their book The Treatment of Moderen Western Medical Diseases with Chinese Medicine (2nd ed., [i:8ba206b256]Blue Poppy Press[/i:8ba206b256], 2005) give, among others, the following recommendations for treating herpes zoster:
[quote:8ba206b256]b. Encircle the painful line with 6-8 needles, including points 2 cm beyond the head and tail of this line.[/quote:8ba206b256]

There also seems to exist a slightly different western interpretation of this technique, when used for treating pain.
[quote:d2c78d489d]With pain management, perhaps the most significant technique one can use, whether master or a rank neophyte, is simply to "[b:d2c78d489d]surround the dragon[/b:d2c78d489d]". If the pain is in the elbow, one simply stimulates any and all areas which are sore on palpation. The same is true for virtually any pain regardless of location.
Source: Asian Healing Techniques by John A. Amaro, DC, FIACA, Dipl.Ac. (Arizona). In: [i:d2c78d489d]Dynamic Chiropractic[/i:d2c78d489d] 1993, Volume 11, Issue 14.[/quote:d2c78d489d]
I think this is not called "surrounding the dragon" but treating Ashi points in the Course D.

In fact, surrounding method could understood as an ancient needling method recorded in Nei Jing (Yellow Emperor's Internal Classic), but there's slight divergence from the originally recorded descriptions.

In the original, there are several ways of multiple needling, while to treat the herpes zoster or other skin lesions, very often the center of the lesion is not needled. While to treat the pain, the center of the painful area can be needled.

[quote:869332e019="tutor"]Sorry to say I don't have such experience but the surrounding method is often used to treat some disorders with skin lesions, e.g. the carbuncles or furuncles.

That's understood as the local needling techniques.[/quote:869332e019]
A few quotes from the book [u:869332e019]New Acupuncture and Moxibustion[/u:869332e019] (Russian edition, 1959) by Dr. [b:869332e019]Zhu Lian[/b:869332e019], [i:869332e019]the first director of the Institute of Acupuncture and Moxibustion of China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine[/i:869332e019]. Although [i:869332e019]tutor[/i:869332e019] has once said they do not even remember her name in China anymore .

[quote:869332e019][b:869332e019]Furuncle[/b:869332e019]

To treat a furuncle, moxibustion is used over the affected area, and acupuncture is applied [i:869332e019]near the affected place[/i:869332e019]. If there is swelling and hyperaemia, acupuncture using the reinforcing manipulation is applied. If puss is coming out, the reducing manipulation is used. [/quote:869332e019]
[quote:869332e019][b:869332e019]Acne vulgaris[/b:869332e019]

According to the author's observations, acupuncture and moxibustion give positive results. The reinforcing manipulation is usually applied to the points [i:869332e019]near the skin elements[/i:869332e019]. Moxibustion is used over the skin elements. [/quote:869332e019]
[quote:869332e019][b:869332e019]Alopecia[/b:869332e019]

In case of alopecia totalis, apart from [i:869332e019]applying acupuncture to the affected area[/i:869332e019], general strengthening of the body is important. For this, the reducing manipulation is used selecting from the following points: Xinshe, Dazhui, Feishu, Gaohuang, Shenshu, Dachangshu, Jiquan, Shaohai, Quchi, Hegu, Zusanli, Xuanzhong, Yinlingquan, Sanyinjiao. If the patients has developed alopecia areata recently, [i:869332e019]local points[/i:869332e019] as well as distant points could be used. [/quote:869332e019]
[quote:869332e019][b:869332e019]Acne rosacea[/b:869332e019]

In patients with rosacea acupuncture and moxibustion are also used. Moxibustion is recommended over the affected area, and acupuncture is applied to the points [i:869332e019]near the affected area[/i:869332e019]. The points usually used include: Yintang, Sibai, Yingxiang, Shuigou, Suliao, etc. The reducing manipulation is used. Moxibustion using sparrow-pecking technique is applied for 1-2 minutes over each zone. [/quote:869332e019]
It seems that she recommended using surrounding acupuncture around the skin lesions and moxibustion with moxa sticks over them.

Your comments would be appreciated...

Author: tutor    Time: 2009-04-29 14:01

OK, Sergiy,
It's very good you pasted some of Dr. Zhu Lian's clinical experience.

But it seems you still have some objections on what I said in China Dr. Zhu is not well known in the acupuncture circle, say nothing of the whole circle of traditional Chinese medicine.

In fact, you might ask Mr. Pan Ping, if he's got any idea about Dr. Zhu before our discussion about him. In fact Mr. Pan Ping has been in the field of traditional Chinese medicine for over 20 years.

Now, I think I should say a little more about Dr. Zhu Lian's clinical features.

Dr. Zhu was great to do acupuncture! The reason why I say so is because she had practiced western medicine for quite a long while before doing acupuncture.
You know, at that time, acupuncture or even traditional Chinese medicine was not taken into the publich health system, so acupuncture was regarded more or less as a kind of majic or witch technique, not really a method of medicine. So, as a physician of western medicine, she started to do acupuncture, and took it as a life career, is it very great?

However, this greatness or my personal respect to her won't neutralize her shortcoming or demerits in the practice and training of acupuncture! I have to say so!

First of all, she didn't do differentiation of syndromes, but just some fixed formulas. So, sometimes, she would do too many points, 40 or 50 in one patient, at lease one of her students said so. Don't you think this is a good way of acupuncture? Or the foreign patients would accept this type of needling treatment?

Secondly she didn't recognize the meridians and collaterals, but just the lines and acupoints.

Thirdly, her needling technique i.e. the reinforcing and reducing techbiques were not in line with the traditional ways.

So, from these points, she's been not accepted as a "real" or a conventional acupuncture physician!

From the examples you have listed above, we could see some of her shortcomings.

To treat furuncles or carbuncles, we should pay attention to the color and temperature of and around the skin lesions, so to decide the deficiency and excess, cold or heat, while Dr. Zhu just decide the reinforcing and reducing techniques by whether the pus is out or not.
If it's a excessive and heat syndrome, we'd better not use moxibustion, at least the green hands of acupuncture should be careful in using it.
But Dr. Zhu didn't say anything about it.
Moxibustion would be very good to some chronic cases of the skin lesions, the pus maybe is inside, but it cannot break out, while the skin color is white, so the moxibustion treatment would help.

But I think the surrounding technique could be used, that's no harm at all.
If the differentiation of syndrome is combined with the surrounding method, it would be much more effective. And don't forget herbs.

The Russian version of Dr. Zhu's "New Acupuncture and Moxibustion" helped the spreading of acupuncture in Russia, but also caused some problems, i.e. the Russian acupuncture practitioners don't pay enough attention to the traditional acupuncture in China, neither they know enough of the use acupuncture in China nowadays.

So, that's Yin and Yang!

Ok, I don't want to deny the contribution made by Dr. Zhu in the field of acupuncture, but just try to tell Sergiy the truth why Dr. Zhu is not well known in China.
Hope Sergiy understand me in a right way so don't throw a stone on my head

Tutor

Thank you very much for your detailed post. Your first hand infromation is very valuable.

[quote:aadd328cdd="tutor"]The Russian version of Dr. Zhu's "New Acupuncture and Moxibustion" helped the spreading of acupuncture in Russia, but also caused some problems, i.e. the Russian acupuncture practitioners don't pay enough attention to the traditional acupuncture in China, neither they know enough of the use acupuncture in China nowadays.[/quote:aadd328cdd]
I believe, it is not entirely Dr. Zhu's fault. In Russia acupuncture (called [i:aadd328cdd]Reflexotherapy[/i:aadd328cdd] there, by the way) from the beginning was thought of as a form of reflex therapy, acting through the neural reflex pathways, which was most likely due to ideological reasons. Or, could this be the way in which acupuncture really acts? Don't many of your own researches in China point in this same direction?
[quote:aadd328cdd="tutor"]Hope Sergiy understand me in a right way so don't throw a stone on my head [/quote:aadd328cdd]
No stones on your head meant. It just seemed strange to me your people would not remember the [i:aadd328cdd]first[/i:aadd328cdd] director of the [i:aadd328cdd]first[/i:aadd328cdd] Acupuncture and Moxibustion Institute of the [i:aadd328cdd]first[/i:aadd328cdd] Academy of TCM in your country (and in the world). No matter whether her approach to acupuncture was completely "traditional" or not...

Thank you again for your excellent comment.

Dear Sergiy,

In fact, up to mid or even late 1950s, the former Soviet Union and the East bloc government depatched some medical professionals from their countries to China, to learn acupuncture.

However, as we all know, the culture background is tremendously different, acupuncture has not been widely spread in these country. I think it's the same in the western countries.

While the acupuncture became more and more popular after the early 1970s, in the former East bloc countries, acupuncture remained the same. Maybe that's because of the ideological factors. I don't know exactly why.

So the Russian acupuncture practitioners nowadays still have the impression of Dr. Zhu's new acupuncture, but they don't have many idea on the real tradtional Chinese acupuncture and the use of acupuncture in China at the moment. Of course, Dr. Zhu would have never expected this situation, it is NOT her fault . That's only the fact.

In fact in China, acupuncture research has been done in variety ways, not only the neural reflexotherapy. We do realized the correlation between the acupuncture treatment and the neuro-transmitters (opoid substance), but we also did the research in some other areas, e.g. the clinical trials, such as for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases, cerebr0vascular diseases, ect.

The point why the acupuncture practitioners outside of China don't have much knowledge of these research is because of the language barrier!

Majorities of this type of literatures are not translated into English, and I don't think you could find 100-plus acupuncture practitioners in China who are able to communicate with foreign counterparts in fluent English.

Another point is some Chinese acupuncture practitioners are not really willing to tell their experience to foreigners! At least they don't think it's important to spread their knowledge or experience to outside of China.
I'm one of them, hahahaha...

Don't you think I am?

It's funny, we talked about Zhang Ren and Dong Zhi Lin, but finally we are talking something totally different!

Ok, Sergiy, I'm going to bed now.

Tutor

One more example of the same "surrounding" technique (from Tianjin College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, China), but with a different name ("local multi-needle puncturing").

Source: Meng X. COMMENTS ON CLINICAL APPLICATION OF LOCAL MULTI-NEEDLE PUNCTURING. World Journal of Acupuncture-Moxibustion 2002: Vol.12, No. 4.

[quote:4efc247a9f]Local multi-needle puncturing is that multiple filiform acupucture needles are inserted into the topical area straight or transversely.

HERPES ZOSTER

Herpes zoster is called as "Chan Yao Huo Dan" in TCM, and is mostly seen in
adults. At the initial stage, the patient feels burning pain in the local skin, 1-3 days later, scattered erythema occurs along the distributing region of a certain nerve, gradually, clusters of millet-like or mung bean-like papular eruption, blisters appear chiefly in the chest and back, lumbar and abdominal regions as well as the head part, accompanied with unbearable violent neuralgia. The duration of the disease is about 2-4 weeks.

In regard to the treatment, 3-4 acupuncture needles are inserted into the skin around the injured area to advance toward the central part, then retained for 30 min.

Note: In the treatment of this disease with acupuncture, the opportunity is very important, the earlier the treatment, the better is the analgesic effect. The therapeutic effect of acupuncture in analgesia is far more effective than any analgesics. The present therapy also works well in the treatment of herpes zoster with a longer duration or with sequelae in spite of a relatively longer treatment time.

Topical multi-needle method is recorded in the classic medical book Ling Shu (Miraculous Pivot) named as triple puncture, cental-square needling, and superficial puncture. The stimulating quantity of this needling is stronger, can function in dredging meridians and promoting qi and blood circulation. Generally, acupoints being selected, needling sensations are produced, multiple acupuncture needles are insserted obliquely or transversely into the skin around the affected region from different directions, causing the needling sensations spreading to the peripheral part. At the beginning, the needling manipulation should be mild, latter, the needling sensations increase gradually but within the patient's tolerable limit.[/quote:4efc247a9f]

By the way, I thought that [b:4efc247a9f]superficial puncture[/b:4efc247a9f] (from the [b:4efc247a9f]twelve methods[/b:4efc247a9f] described in [b:4efc247a9f]Ling Shu[/b:4efc247a9f], chapter Guan Zhen) was to treat [b:4efc247a9f]painful muscular spasm[/b:4efc247a9f]?
[quote:4efc247a9f]"There are twelve methods in pricking to treat the various diseases of the twelve channels.
(...)
The ninth kind is called the superficial-puncture which is to prick shallowly lateral to the surface of the muscle to treat the bi-syndrome due to muscular spasm.
(...)"
([i:4efc247a9f]translation by Jing-Nuan Wu[/i:4efc247a9f]).[/quote:4efc247a9f]

Yes, there are many modern names of needling which are on the basis of the methods recorded in Internal Classic!

Ok, we have one more here.

Welcome to Mebo--TCM Forum (http://bbs.ontcm.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.2